As a skilled worker, you may be considering Australia as an ideal destination for a new life and great career prospects. Australia is renowned for its quality of life, opportunities, and diverse culture. The country has one of the most robust economies in the world, and its workforce is diverse, skilled, and respected globally. One of the pathways available for skilled migration to Australia is through the 190 visa.
In this article, we will explore everything you need to know about the 190 visa, including eligibility criteria, application process, and advantages of this visa.
What is the 190 visa?
The 190 visa is a skilled migration visa that allows skilled workers to live and work in Australia permanently. This visa is designed for individuals with skills and experience required by the Australian labor market.
The 190 visa falls under the Skilled Nominated Visa category, which means applicants are required to obtain a nomination from a specific state or territory government agency in Australia. The visa is intended to help states and territories in Australia to meet their unique skill shortages by nominating skilled workers with those skillsets.
Eligibility Criteria for the 190 Visa
To qualify for the 190 visa, you need to:
1. Be under 45 years of age
2. Meet the English language proficiency requirements
3. Meet the character and health requirements
4. Have at least 65 points on the SkillSelect system
5. Receive a nomination from a state or territory government agency in Australia
6. Have an occupation on the relevant Skilled Occupation List
7. Have a suitable skills assessment from a relevant assessment authority.
The SkillSelect system allows applicants to score points based on their qualifications, work experience, language proficiency, and other factors. The higher the number of points, the higher the chance of receiving an invitation to apply for the visa.
Applicants must also have their skills assessed by a relevant assessment authority to ensure that their qualifications and work experience match the requirements of their nominated occupation on the relevant Skilled Occupation List. The assessment authority will provide an assessment of your qualifications and work experience that determines if you meet the requirements for your nominated occupation.
Application Process for the 190 Visa
To apply for the 190 visa, you need to follow these steps:
1. Check the Skilled Occupation List to see if your occupation is included
2. Check the eligibility criteria thoroughly and ensure that you meet all requirements
3. Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect
4. Receive a nomination from a state or territory government agency in Australia
5. Receive an invitation to apply for the 190 visa
6. Lodge your visa application within 60 days of receiving the invitation
7. Provide all the necessary documents and information as requested by the Department of Home Affairs
8. Sit for language tests and medical examinations as required
9. Wait for a decision on your visa application.
It is important to note that the process can take several months and requires patience, attention to detail and meeting all necessary requirements.
Advantages of the 190 Visa
1. Permanent Residency Status: The 190 visa grants permanent residency to successful applicants, allowing them to live and work in Australia without any restrictions. This means that you can enjoy the same benefits as Australian citizens, such as access to public services, healthcare, education, and more.
2. Access to Medicare: Permanent residency status offers access to Medicare, which is a system provided by the Australian Government that offers subsidized medical services.
3. Opportunity to Apply for Australian Citizenship: Permanent residency offers the opportunity to apply for Australian citizenship after a period of time.
4. Access to Higher Salaries: Skill shortages in Australia can lead to higher salaries for skilled workers. The 190 visa enables you to access better employment opportunities and higher salaries.
5. Opportunity to Reside in Any State or Territory: Successful applicants may live and work in any state or territory in Australia that has nominated them.
Australia offers great opportunities for skilled workers, and the 190 visa is one of the pathways available. As a highly skilled professional, applying for the 190 visa will enable you to live and work in Australia permanently, access better employment opportunities, higher salaries, and the chance to apply for Australian citizenship. With patience, attention to detail, and meeting all the necessary requirements, you can achieve your goal of living and working in Australia on a permanent basis.